Friday 21 January 2011

Casting out the Final piece

These are a series of photos taken during the casting out of the final piece. I'd changed the pigment shade slightly so it was pinker and pigmented an entire 2kg kit of PlatGel 10 for this cast (knowing that the test cast took nearly 2kg of PlatGel 00). I also added red flock to all 2kg as well...



 
















The first photo shows the first thin layer of Platgel 10 into the mould, I then added another thin layer and then a really thick layer (thickened with Thixotropic as normal), the second photo is after I'd pushed pieces of fabric netting into the thick layer of Platgel as it was curing and lined the stand part of the mould with a thickened layer of Fastcast. The third photo shows another batch of thickened Platgel round the edges of each fibreglass jacket just before I bolted the mould together. I then filled in the edges of the stand with more Fastcast before bolting the bottom of the mould on and pouring in R8 foam. The last photo is the set foam just hitting the top of the pour-in hole. I will de-mould this on Monday and see how it came out.