Monday 10 January 2011

The end of 'sculpting week'


This shows how I inserted the eye blanks (destroying the previous clay eye I was using for visualization). I also sculpted a horn out of plasteline, made a silicone mould of it and cast out two fast cast ones to sculpt around. This mould can be used again to cast out the real horns. The final horns would ideally be made from dental acrylic which gives the translucency and colour of real bone but due to cost and the lack of a pressure pot, I might use polyester resin with a small amount of pigment to try and create the same effect.


This is the final sculpt before I sprayed on clear lacquer to seal it and prepare it for moulding. I exaggerated a lot of the skin texture because a lot of it will not be visible when it is cast in a less opaque material such as Platgel.