Tuesday 11 January 2011

Moulding preparation...



Before leaving the sculpt over the weekend, I sprayed the entire sculpt (turntable and all) with clear lacquer to hold in the clay's moisture and seal everything from the next stage, I also drew, very carefully with a Sharpie, the split lines onto the lacquered surface, considering large areas that could lock in etc. 

After the weekend I then gave all the surfaces a few good coats of Macwax as a release from the fibreglass later on. This will also help to create a barrier between the sculpt and the 'smooth buff' clay used when walling up. The second photo shows my working area before I started walling up. I used a clay cutter and a piece of board to create completely flat slabs of clay to work with. I drilled and glued sticks onto the eye blanks so that I will be able to locate the middle of the eyes once I have fibreglassed over them, this is because screws will need to be inserted into the eyes from the outside of the mould to keep them in place before the sculpt is de-moulded.