Tuesday 11 January 2011

Walling up




















The wall was built up with sections of clay in square strips. Once the wall became quite high, I added 'L' shaped sausages of clay to the back of the wall to support it. I then covered the back half of the sculpt in moistened paper to protect it before building up a supporting layer of plaster bandage on the back of the wall for extra support. This means when I come to fibreglass the front, the wall is strong enough to withhold any pressure from the fibreglass matting etc.

Also I inserted a small section of shim into the top of the wall where the split line of the back two parts of the mould would meet. This is so when I come to shimming the back of the sculpt, the top section of the shim will have something rigid to be taped to and will not flap around.